The German version of Mafia
has been censored. There is no blood when running over or attacking people. Also, pedestrians cannot be killed, they just lie down on the ground and take cover. Interestingly enough, the in-game cutscenes still have all the blood effects.
The game features a fictional luxury car called the Phaeton. Two years after the game's release, Volkswagen has released a new luxury car also called the Phaeton
- One mission has you entering a hotel named "Hotel Coreleone". Coreleone is the famous family name from the The GodFather movies.
- Another mission has you stealing cigars from a box labeled "Scorsese Import/Export". Scorsese is in reference to the film director Martin Scorsese, who has directed many mob movies, including GoodFellas and Casino.
- The names of the opponents during the car-race are taken from actual people, mostly frontmen of heavy metal bands, like Mark "Barney" Greenway from Napalm Death, Chris Barnes from Cannibal Corpse or Kirk Windstein from Crowbar.
- The museum at the end of the game is a detailed clone of the "Kunsthistorisches Museum" in Vienna, Austria. Illusion Softworks, the Czech-based company who developed the game, obviously chose the building as an inspiration for the level.
In the German version of the game, Mogens von Gadow
voices Paulie. Von Gadow is the German voice of actor Joe Pesci who performed in Scorsese's mob movies Goodfellas
Information also contributed by
Indra was here,
- Computer Gaming World
- April 2003 (Issue #225) – Best Music of the Year
- GameStar (Germany)
- February 13, 2003 - Best Game in 2002 (Readers' Vote)
- February 13, 2003 - Best Action Game in 2002 (Readers' Vote)
- February 13, 2003 - Most Innovative Game in 2002 (Readers' Vote)
- PC Powerplay (Germany)
- Issue 11/2005 - #4 Game Which Absolutely Needs A Sequel (it eventually got in in 2010)