DescriptionAfter defeating Dr. Light's six robots that were reprogrammed by the villainous Dr. Wily in Mega Man, it seemed like the world was safe. But it was not to be. Dr. Wily has escaped from prison and is madder than ever, this time creating eight new Robot Masters of his own to take over the world and crush Mega Man! Is the world doomed?
Mega Man 2 is the sequel to the NES game Mega Man. In this game, Metal Man, Air Man, Bubble Man, Quick Man, Crash Man, Flash Man, Heat Man and Wood Man are Dr. Wily's eight prize creations that have been sent to take over the world. As Mega Man defeats these bosses, he can steal their powers and use them for himself. Each Robot Master is weak against another's weapon, and through experimentation, Mega Man can gain the upper hand by using the weapon they're vulnerable against.
Other additions to the game include the 'E-Tank' - an item that can be used at any time to completely refill Mega Man's energy, and a Password System, which allows players to continue their game by recording which Robot Masters have been defeated and how many E-Tanks they have. Mega Man 2 also removes the scoring system from the original game.
- "Rockman Complete Works: Rockman 2: The Enigma of Dr. Wily" -- Japanese title
- "Rock Man 2" -- Brazilian CCE's Top Game title
- "Rockman 2" -- Japanese Famicom title
- "Mega Man II" -- In-game title
- "ロックマン２ Dr.ワイリーの謎" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Center CX challenge games
- Games made into books
- Mega Man / Rockman games
- Mega Man / Rockman series
- Protagonist: Robot
|Lens of Truth||NES||Jun 26, 2009||10 out of 10||100|
|Gaming since 198x||Wii||Jan 04, 2011||5 out of 5||100|
|Gaming since 198x||NES||Jan 04, 2011||5 out of 5||100|
|Mag'64||Wii||May 23, 2010||9.5 out of 10||95|
|1UP!||NES||Feb 05, 2007||93 out of 100||93|
|NES Times||NES||Aug 24, 2006||9 out of 10||90|
|The DOS Spirit||NES||Dec 04, 2011||5 out of 6||83|
|Defunct Games||Wii||Feb 08, 2013||B+||83|
|Game Freaks 365||NES||Jul 04, 2005||8 out of 10||80|
|App Spy||iPhone||Mar 27, 2010||3 out of 5||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DevelopmentKeiji Inafune actually had to create Mega Man 2 on his own time, to a certain extent. The original game hadn't been successful enough to warrant a fully produced sequel, but he so wanted to create another Mega Man title, that he was given permission to work on it so long as it didn't interfere with any of his other scheduled work.
ReceptionMega Man's creator Keiji Inafune considers Mega Man 2 his favorite Mega Man game. Thanks to its creative levels, cool weapons, excellent bosses, and fantastic music.
SalesAccording to publisher Capcom, Mega Man 2 has sold 1.51 million copies worldwide since its initial release (as of June 30, 2016).
- Electronic Gaming Monthly
- December 1989 (Issue 5) - Best Sequel to an Existing Game (tied with Ghouls 'N Ghosts)
- Game Informer Magazine
- August 2001 (Issue 100) - voted #32 in the Top 100 Games of All Time poll
Related Web Sites
- Howard & Nester do Mega Man 2 (A regular feature in Nintendo Power magazine, Howard & Nester was a comic strip about two game whizzes who would one-up each other, while disclosing hints and tips, in the settings of various recently-released games for the NES platform. In the September/October 1989 two-page installment, Nester competes against a robotic version of Howard in a trivia contest organized by Dr. Wily -- hints and tips abound.)
- OC ReMix Game Profile (Fan remixes of music from Mega Man 2.)