CartoonPitfall! was popular enough to have a Saturday morning TV cartoon based on it. The cartoon focused on the adventures of Pitfall Harry, his niece Rhonda, and the cowardly mountain lion Quickclaw.
Explorer's ClubPlayers who were able to rack up 20,000 points or higher were eligible to receive the Explorer's Club patch from Activision if they sent in a screenshot to the company.
GlitchesA clipping bug in the ColecoVision version of the game would allow the player to actually walk through the walls in the lower area if hit just right. A demonstration can be seen in this video.
- Issue #4 - #33 in the "Top 100 Video Games of All-Time" list
- Game Informer
- August 2001 (Issue 100) - #41 in the "Top 100 Games of All Time" poll
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #85 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 37 - #21 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll
- Issue 04/1984 – #3 Video Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)