Diddy Kong Racing Trivia (Nintendo 64)
CharactersThe playable characters who appear in other games are:
- Diddy Kong the monkey from the Donkey Kong Country series (first released in 1994).
- Banjo the bear from the Banjo-Kazooie series (first released in 1998).
- Tiptup the turtle from the Banjo-Kazooie series.
- Conker the squirrel later appeared in various games.
- Krunch is a Kremling, who are the antagonists of the Donkey Kong Country series. His clothing style was carried over to several of these enemies in Donkey Kong 64 (released in 1999).
Cut contentIn Space Port Alpha, just before the finish line, there's a small alcove in the wall that the player can drive into and appears to have no use. Initially, this was going to hide the key for Future Fun Land's T.T. Challenge / Multiplayer Level. However, the level was removed for whatever reason, so the key was no longer needed.
DevelopmentIn its very early stages, Diddy Kong Racing was going to be a next-generation update to the popular RC Pro AM series which appeared on the NES, Game Boy and Genesis.
Legal issuesThe legalities of Diddy Kong Racing were open for debate when Rare was bought by Microsoft in 2002. In 2007, Diddy Kong Racing DS was released. It appears that Rare owns Banjo and Conker, who were replaced with Dixie Kong and Tiny Kong. All other characters seem to have gone to Nintendo, even Tiptup although he appeared in Banjo-Kazooie.
Information also contributed by Ben K, gamewarrior and MegaMegaMan.