Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Nintendo 64)

Written by  :  Stsung (53)
Written on  :  Aug 19, 2009
Platform  :  Nintendo 64

read more reviews by Stsung

Summary

One of the first and best N64 fighting games!

The Good

The graphics are as smooth and crisp as the UMK3 arcade. Just about every frame of animation is included here. Every character from Mortal Kombat I, II and 3 (hence the term "Trilogy") is included, even those who did not appear in MK3 or UMK3 such as Baraka or Rayden, which keeps you entertained for an extended period of time. Also, there a a lot of backgrounds to choose from, from the Courtyard to Goro's Lair to the three Pits. The bosses are also playable through a code and in certain backgrounds, and they even perform fatalities!

The aggressor bar is a great new feature, which enables you to perform more damage for a brief moment.

Bottom line, it's the controls that makes this game shine. Of all the MK games, this one has probably the most responsive controls. It's fast, smooth and is not overtly sensitive nor sluggish.

The Bad

The sounds: The renditions of the tracks are OK and are recognisable to the ear for those who are familiar with the arcade tunes, but I expected better due to the capabilities of the hardware. Also, the voice-over tend to be a little subtle and slightly slurred, sounding like it's played on a scratched LP.

Also, I would've liked to see the unmasked Sub-Zero included here with all the special moves of both old and new Subbies, as he had slightly better finishing moves than the masked one. Whatever the case, masked Sub-Zero has all the special moves of both, making him extremely formidable.

The Bottom Line

If you're an MK fan, a fighting-game fan, or even a casual gamer, I'd recommend this game to you! Sure the PS version has a few more characters, this one has better graphics and it doesn't have any annoying load times! The sounds should've been better, but it's the near-flawless controls and diversity of characters and backgrounds that keeps you hooked!