Moby Poll: What kind of game collector are you?

Samurai Shodown II (Neo Geo Pocket Color)

Written by  :  zemonn (173)
Written on  :  Jan 17, 2012
Platform  :  Neo Geo Pocket Color
read more reviews by zemonn

Summary

Decent game that does an effective, not great, job of translating the big-brother gameplay.

The Good

The graphics are pretty decent for this little system, as are the sounds. They picked a good palette for the screen, given that it is not backlit. The moves are pretty intuitive and I don't imagine it would take more than about 5 minutes to become pretty capable at the game. Also, for a fan of the Samurai Shodown series, the feel and gameplay is very enjoyable.

The Bad

This game is really short. I guess that's due to the fact it is a portable game and has no save feature...so you have to finish it in one sitting.

The Bottom Line

Overall, it's a decent game if you are a Samurai Shodown fan or collector. I bought it mainly as a collector's item, not expecting too much incredible gameplay on the Neo Geo Pocket and I wasn't disappointed.

Nothing surprising in the gameplay. Basically, take a subset of the list of Samurai Shodown characters and fight your way to the end. There are single player and survival modes to keep you busy. The gameplay is pretty limited by the lack of buttons on the Neo Geo Pocket (only two). There are slash and bust modes to extend the game time. Also, there is a card collecting feature which adds a nice twist.