Anticipation (NES)

3.2
Written by  :  Jeff Koerner (38)
Written on  :  Mar 22, 2005
Rating  :  0.25 Stars0.25 Stars0.25 Stars0.25 Stars0.25 Stars

read more reviews by Jeff Koerner

Summary

worst game EVER!!!

The Good

Those NES cartridges are really well-built. If you need an extra coaster or a stylish door-stop, then you'll be glad you bought this game. I still use mine to prop up an uneven keyboard.

The Bad

First off, you don't get to choose which icon represents you on the board. If you're the first player, you're forced to be a pair of pink high-heeled shoes. The other characters, in order, are as follows: a trumpet, a teddy bear, and an ice-cream cone. Maybe I'm being petty here, but I know I'm not the only one who has ever fought to have his favorite token in monopoly, and a board game where you don't even have a choice isn't very attractive. More importantly, the drawings are just plain terrible. Some of them, on the harder difficulty settings, don't even finish drawing before time runs out, leaving you to wonder just where the final lines would go. On the other extreme we find the 'ALPHABET' category which consists entirely of drawings of single letters in block format that are entirely too easy to guess. And sometimes you'll find drawings that don't seem to fit the category at all(case-in-point: you'll find drawings of an 'exclamation point' and 'question mark' in the 'OFFICE' category). These pictures look like they were drawn by a particularly deranged robot with an etch-a-sketch. That being said, the music is by far the worst part of this game. It's so repetitive that it makes techno seem creative, and so annoying that you'll want to turn the volume off well before the 5 minutes it takes to beat this game are over. If you don't, I assure you that it will stick in your head--like the way an ice-pick might stick in your head, not like a good synth-pop melody. My suggestion to you is to avoid this game like the plague. In fact, given the choice between a plague and this game, I'd recommend the former.

The Bottom Line

The only people that seem to enjoy this game are the people in the box-art photo, and I can only assume that's because they belong to some sort of 8-bit S&M subculture.