New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Batman: The Video Game (NES)

Written by  :  Crazy Horse (12)
Written on  :  Aug 11, 2008

read more reviews by Crazy Horse

Summary

"Winged freak...wait till' they get a load of me!"

The Good

The music in the game Batman is really good, that's one of the things that kept me playing this good game, from the music in Gotham City's Streets, to the boss battles (that can take a long time to complete if you aren't great at this game, like me) the music sounds quite amazing for just an 8 bit system.

The gameplay is also quite good, you have the ability to use a wall-jump, and an ability to use 3 different weapons: A short-missile launcher, a Boomerang, and 3-way splitting discs. along with your trusty fists.

The Bad

The difficulty of this game, for me anyways, is kind of insane, I don't see anyone getting through this game with the 3 lives you start out with in the beginning, and even though it doesn't mention it in the game, you have a limited number of continues.

What also bothers me, not as much as the difficulty, is the fact that this game really doesn't have much of a connection to the movie, maybe it has cut scenes, and 1 boss/enemy from the movie (Joker, final boss) and the stages are sort of connected to it. But the additional hazards (like the electric floors in 2-2) aren't from the movie, not a big deal to most of you, but it bothers me.

The Bottom Line

Batman is a side-scrolling 1 player action-adventure game that pits the Caped-Crusader against the evil-doers of Gotham City. Batman has not only his trusty fists as weapons, but can also be equipped with 3 other good weapons. He also has a useful wall-jumping technique. For you side-scrolling fans that enjoy a good challenge, great music and game play, Batman is for you, but if you expected this to be like the blockbuster film, you'll be disappointed to know, it's not quite the same.