Battletoads (NES)

Written by  :  Katharian Berg (19)
Written on  :  Aug 24, 2010
Platform  :  NES
Rating  :  1.25 Stars1.25 Stars1.25 Stars1.25 Stars1.25 Stars

read more reviews by Katharian Berg

Summary

Bad design, nothing more.

The Good

The graphics are good. The game is longer than the usual platformer. The levels vary a lot: you've got beat 'em up sections, platform levels, 2D races and more.There is two player mode as well where you kill your friend half the time because you can actually hit each other, which is interesting. Oh, and the pause sound is amazing!

The Bad

The story is not very creative, but that can be said about almost any game of this type, so that's fine. But the game is just badly designed. The difficulty level is ludicrous and there's one reason for that: You have to memorize the whole game. There are dozens of situations (especially in the race stages) where even the most skilled players would fail because you simply have to know what to do. That's all, and that's no fun. Other games do that as well, but not 90% of the time. The fact that you only have limited continues does not help.

The Bottom Line

It's way too hard because of poor design. I don't want to play game where I have to learn patterns like vocabulary for school. If you want a next to impossible game, play Contra. Contra is hard as hell too, but I demands skills, not memorization.