David Crane's A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia (NES)

Written by  :  Multimedia Mike (17494)
Written on  :  Aug 05, 2005
Platform  :  NES
Rating  :  3.33 Stars3.33 Stars3.33 Stars3.33 Stars3.33 Stars

read more reviews by Multimedia Mike

Summary

Feed the magic blob

The Good

I have always enjoyed A Boy and His Blob if only because it falls squarely into the "highly unique" category. It's a puzzle game where the puzzles are derived from feeding your faithful blob different flavors of jellybeans which cause him to assume various objects and tools (licorice = ladder, apple = jack, for example). I had never heard of anything quite like that before this game and I have never seen anything quite like it since.

It's worth noting, and appreciating, that the background graphics in this game are quite detailed in NES terms.

The Bad

While the background graphics feature a fairly exquisite level of detail, the primary characters-- that is, the boy and his blob-- are sorely lacking in the same area. They appear to have been transplanted from a game that was a console generation behind the background graphics.

The music was decent but also highly repetitive. The proper title of the game is "David Crane's A Boy and his Blob" which makes me wonder if a single person was responsible for the entire game, graphics, music, puzzles, and all.

The Bottom Line

Put on your thinking cap and dig into your bag of jellybeans. The blob is hungry and you have a mission to complete.