Not an American user?
DescriptionDragon Warrior is the first famous console RPG. You assume the role of a descendant of Erdrick, a brave warrior of the past. Once upon a time, Erdrick defeated the evil Dragonlord with the help of the Ball of Light. Now, Dragonlord stole the Ball of Light, and your mission is to recover it and to restore peace in the world.
In Dragon Warrior, you move your character around in a top-down world. In cities and palaces you can talk to people, rest in inns and buy stuff in shops. There's a variety of weapons, equipment and armor to buy.
When wandering around in the wilderness, you occasionally encounter enemies, and fight them from 1st person perspective. Combat is turn based: you select menu options while fighting - you can attack with your weapon, cast a spell (using up some of your magic energy), use and item or try to run. Killing monsters gives you experience, and, as is typical for RPGs, you level up and improve your stats when you gain enough experience.
Like in later RPGs, you have limited hit points, lose them when you are attacked by enemies, and die when you run out of them. When your character dies in a battle, he is automatically restored in a nearby town.
- "勇者斗恶龙" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Dragon Quest" -- Japanese title
- "DQ" -- Common abbreviation
- "ドラゴンクエスト" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest series
- Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest universe
- Games made into TV series
- Video games turned into board / card games
|Rudimentary In Many Ways But Exemplary Overall||mobiusclimber (221)|
|1st RPG for NES, Best RPG for Nes!||OlSkool_Gamer (99)|
|One of a kind RPG||GNJMSTR (143)|
The Press Says
|Nintendojo||2000||8.7 out of 10||87|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Dec 09, 2011||17 out of 20||85|
|NES Times||May 13, 2006||8 out of 10||80|
|Quebec Gamers||Dec 19, 2004||7.9 out of 10||79|
|All Game Guide||1998||70|
|1UP!||Feb 20, 2009||68 out of 100||68|
|The Video Game Critic||Feb 01, 2011||B-||67|
|Random Access||2005||6.5 out of 10||65|
|RPGamer||Aug 29, 2000||4 out of 10||40|
|GameCola.net||Sep, 2008||3.5 out of 10||35|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Green dragon||2||Donatello (384)
Mar 19, 2013
|Is the PC-98 version really an official release?||13||Kabushi (114693)
Sep 08, 2010
Nintendo PowerNintendo eventually gave away a free copy of Dragon Warrior to everyone who subscribed to Nintendo Power.
- Game Informer
- August 2001 (Issue #100) - #37 in the "Top 100 Games of All Time" poll
Related Web Sites
- Dragon Warrior 1 Shrine -- Shrine dedicated to the great NES game. Includes maps, item chart, boss guide enemy guide, walkthroughs, and everything related to the game
- Dragon Warrior I @ Dragon's Den -- Very comprehensive fansite with hints, manuals and other information.
- Dragon Warrior shrine -- In-depth information to the Dragon Warrior series on this fan-made site.
- Howard & Nester do Dragon Warrior -- A regular feature in Nintendo Power magazine, Howard & Nester was a comic strip about two game whizzes who would one-up each other, while disclosing hints and tips, in the settings of various recently-released games for the NES platform. In the January/February 1990 two-page installment, Howard and Nester employ different approaches toward retrieving the Stone of Sunlight from Tantegel Castle.
- Kingdom of Alefgard -- A Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior fansite.
- OC ReMix Game Profile -- Fan remixes of music from Dragon Warrior.
YID YANG (164501) added Dragon Warrior (NES) on May 18, 2003
Other platforms contributed by YID YANG (164501)
Based On Dragon Quest
Copyright 1986 1989:
Copyright 1986 1989:
Armor Project, Bird Studio, Chun Soft