How much time do you spend in each single session when you play games?

Dragon Warrior II (NES)

3.4
Written by  :  Jared Buck (3)
Written on  :  Feb 27, 2011
Platform  :  NES

read more reviews by Jared Buck

Summary

A classic RPG that is hard for some people, easy for others.

The Good

Dragon Warrior II was one of the first RPGs I got my hands on when I was a little boy. I had previously played DW I and Final Fantasy. The game was one of the first to introduce having multiple people in your party, a previously unknown concept in 1987 when this game was first released. The classic DW slimes are among the first enemies you fight in the game.

There are many things to like about this game, it is hardcore enough for me but not so hard that you pull your hair out in frustration. The story is your typical "bad guy wants to destroy the world" scenario, but that's not so bad when you consider that in 1987 this story was among the best for a game.

The Bad

Traveling to and from locations takes a lot of time, you will often have a long walk to dungeons. Another negative is the slow level progression. It will take you a long time to level up your characters. The "thee" and "thou" language used throughout the game will get on your nerves after some time as well.

The Bottom Line

If you are new to RPGs this is probably not the game for you. But if you're an RPG vet, you will enjoy this quest.