Duck Hunt (NES)

3.3
Written by  :  Kadeem Gomez (38)
Written on  :  May 28, 2014
Platform  :  NES
Rating  :  3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars

read more reviews by Kadeem Gomez

Summary

A great NES game except for this annoying mutt

The Good

I used to play Duck Hunt way back since I first grabbed an NES from my brother. Those were the good ol' days when Nintendo used to have those orange light guns (a.k.a. the NES Zapper) in preparation for both pack-in titles include Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. It was a very funny game and that duck always try to be hiding someplace.

The Bad

The only character I don't like is the dog. Once I almost try to beat every level (except the Round 100 glitch), that dog always tries to trick me while I miss another shot killing that duck. And when the screen says "GAME OVER," he wins. Thanks a lot Nintendo for rubbing it in and let this dog tortured my Elmer Fudd dreams.

The graphics may be fun, but who wants to aim while shooting properly? The sound effects were badder than the dog, and the music is far from perfect unless the developers might've gotten this while watching Good Will Hunting.

The Bottom Line

I think it's a perfect example of a game that's so bad, it's good. Because I've been down this road for a while now and while this is Nintendo's greatest master plan to aim players concentrating on a hunting field trip where ducks can always be your best friend, but when this is all said then done, it's going to be a Dog Day Afternoon once this dog mocks at you. I hope Nintendo should put this on the Virtual Console soon and without light guns, you can always use your precious WII-motes to shoot ducks either single or multiplayer. Don't let this Dennis the Menace-like dog happen the same thing to you over and over again.