Duck Hunt (NES)

3.3
Written by  :  Matt Neuteboom (941)
Written on  :  Sep 22, 2005
Platform  :  NES

read more reviews by Matt Neuteboom

Summary

On the hunt

The Good

This was my second game on the NES and I can still say it is very entertaining. It requires the zapper as a controller, which is absolutely fun to use.

The best part is naturally the light gun. It's just fun to use, especially in a game from 1985. You can stay close to the TV for some ease, or stay back to improve your accuracy and aim.

The clay pigeon shooting adds some nice diversity to the game, as well as the chance to shoot two birds at once.

The graphics and the music aren't exactly spectacular but are pretty good for an NES.

Oh, an naturally everyone loves your hunting dog that will laugh in your face if you don't shoot any birds!

The Bad

The bad part is the repetitiveness of the levels. Nothing changes except for the speed of the ducks, which do get harder and harder to shoot. But that's about it. The game is tremendous fun, but after two rounds of it, you will start to get bored, and even clay pigeon shooting doesn't bring the interest back. I continually go back and play it because it's fun, but it's only good in short bursts.

Also, the necessity of the light gun makes it hard for some people to play, since it won't work with anything else. The controller doesn't react to the game. So even if you have a WORKING NES, with the game, it might be even harder to find a working light gun.

The Bottom Line

This game is actually tremendous fun because we have relatively few good games which use a light gun, and this is the one of the earliest ones. Unfortunately, those without a light gun will not be able to play it. And even then, it may be even better to the the SMB combo to fall back on when you get tired of the game.