The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Written by  :  MasterMegid (897)
Written on  :  Apr 22, 2006
Platform  :  NES
Rating  :  1.33 Stars1.33 Stars1.33 Stars1.33 Stars1.33 Stars

read more reviews by MasterMegid

Summary

Over rated game for an overrated console.

The Good

The Legend Of Zelda is often acclaimed. As the best game ever. Or the best rpg. Or best Nintendo game, or some such. Yet I have always thought it was overrated. Even Nintendo Power rated it higher than Super Mario Bros. Yes somehow Zelda is better then the game that made Nintendo.

The upside to the Zelda series is that the games got better. (Zelda 64 anyone?) And it helped spawn better games. I.e. Landstalker.

The Bad

The downside is just about every thing else. The Graphics are lame even for a NES game. How many colors could the NES display like 4? Because this is not a colorful game. And all the colors are bland. Compare Super Mario Bros. to Zelda and you’ll see.

The Sound/ Music well the sound effects are nothing special. And the only tune I liked was the main theme. Which would sound better in latter Zelda’s.

The Gameplay is as liner as it gets. You go from dungeon to dungeon with no villages to break up the tedium. If Hyrule has no villages who does Zelda rule over? They could have at least had one town, I mean come on. Oh yes and the dungeons have to be done in a specific order, making the game even more linear.

The Storyline is for the most part non-existent. For some reason an old man gives a little kid a sword and tells him to save Zelda, a Princess without a Kingdom, so not only is it stupid, but the player never feels that they must save Zelda.(How come Nintendo can’t get over the “save the princess” thing?)

The Bottom Line

The Bottom Line is that you should skip this one and play The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awaking. Or Zelda 64.