Metal Gear (NES)

Written by  :  ceibant (9)
Written on  :  Jun 16, 2008
Platform  :  NES

read more reviews by ceibant

Summary

Snake's 1st adventure!

The Good

Metal Gear for the NES was a pretty ambitious game for its time. It introduced the world to one of the most loved heroes in gaming history, Solid Snake. It also put "Tactical Espionage Action" on the map. It also had a pretty engaging story once you figure out that...oh, don't worry, I won't spoil it for you!! Most of all, I had fun with the game.

The Bad

The fact that this port of Metal Gear was rushed and not 100% up to the standards of series creator, Hideo Kojima. There was an item that had no use at all, lots of dialogue was missing...it just wasn't fully complete. I also didn't like the fact that there were a couple points in the game where you wander around clueless as to where you have to go. This might have had to do with the game not being fully complete, but I found it to be one of its most annoying features.

The Bottom Line

I would describe this game kind of like NES Legend of Zelda, but with soldiers, guns, a jungle setting, attack dogs, a stealthy approach to the action (if that makes any sense), and bosses with weird names. Although not as polished and oft-remembered as Legend of Zelda, the game is pretty fun, and it's interesting when you start to really make progress. Unfortunately, the game is pretty short, but it is fun. I recommend it.