New Moby Milestone: 50,000 unique games documented! 94,818 including all platform releases.

Nobunaga's Ambition (NES)

3.4
Written by  :  Scott G (729)
Written on  :  Feb 21, 2012
Platform  :  NES
read more reviews by Scott G

Summary

One challenging game

The Good

The time it takes to play this game. Nowadays everyone raves about how a game can take 60 hours to play. Back then, playing a game that would likely take 12 hours minimum to beat was unheard of, it was too long. This is certainly one challenging strategy game.

Unlike most games, you can have 8 players, and this game is hard enough that I would suggest to anyone playing this game to have control of MORE than one daimyo.

The Bad

Graphics are primitive for the time and you could hum the in-game music after playing the game for 5 minutes.

Although the in-game battle programming is as good as it is, it is obvious that the game's AI cheats massively. I had a case where one daimyo attacked me right on the first turn (before I could have my turn) and was able to do at least 4 turns worth of work in that one turn (this damiyo was able to train his soldiers at least once and have his troops assigned [assigning your troops takes one turn]). It takes one full season (ie. 3 months/1 turn) to set the tax rate of your province.

There are 5 levels of difficulty you can choose from...I call them, Hard, Harder, Hardest, Insane, Deity. Honestly, there is only one level, level one. The game takes that long as it is and takes 20 years in-game plus to beat and almost 10 years before you really take on the better AI opponents

The Bottom Line

A time consuming game that is well worth it, but its tedious to play.