Shinobi (NES)

Shinobi NES Title screen.

MISSING COVER

Written by  :  Fake Spam (94)
Written on  :  Jan 31, 2008
Platform  :  NES
Rating  :  3.25 Stars3.25 Stars3.25 Stars3.25 Stars3.25 Stars

read more reviews by Fake Spam

Summary

How dare they!

The Good

The play control is excellent, and the levels are laid out same as the arcade version. The bonus rounds are same as the arcade version. And the music is the same, too.

The Bad

Okay, why does Shinobi look like Prince Charles of England? Did I miss something? I also know this is based on the Master System version (and not the excellent PC Engine version, or even the various home computer versions?) What also blows, though it is a feature of the original game, is the lost-it-all after I died. And some of those cheap-ass enemies. Why? Shame, shame, shame. I mean, this is the same Tengen that did After Burner on the NES? (The same After Burner so powerful only original NES hardware can run it.) What the hell?! Then there's the problem with the magic. Why not use the Select button to use it? Nay, it's this complex whatever button mash and they it activates, with Atari 2600...no, make that RCA Studio II graphical results, and a fart sound.

The Bottom Line

I always wanted to see RCA Studio II games on the NES. Was Tengen going for Studio II emulation or what? Boo on Tengen! And Boo on Sega for signing off on this poor translation!