How much time do you spend in each single session when you play games?

Sullivan Bluth Presents Dragon's Lair (NES)

2.0
Written by  :  Arejarn (786)
Written on  :  May 14, 2008

read more reviews by Arejarn

Summary

What a bad game looks like!

The Good

The highlights about this game are only the range of good graphics and slightly(and i mean slightly) medieval music. Sadly, just because the graphics are good doesn't mean the game itself is good. That's just about it!

The Bad

How can I start? Well, about everything in existence can kill you! Snakes coming out of the wall, exploding walls and deadly doors( yes, deadly doors!). Your character is too slow despite the fact he has a princess to rescue! The actions are too slow and it takes Dirk the Daring(or should I say Dick the daring) to even crouch down. Now let's talk slightly more about the levels. In the first screen, you see a normal platformer WITH good graphics, but wait, before you can get into the castle, the door closes. Now in order to get the door to open, you have to kill a dragon that comes out from a moat (the surrounding river around a castle). First question, how do you kill the dragon? When you throw your daggers, they fly right over the dragon (bear it in mind, the dragon is small and shelters in the moat through the bridge). But when I try to duck in order to hit it, the goddamn thing crouches under the bridge. Yeah, if you're a beginner, you'll be wondering what the developers were smoking! I mean it's good to have a clever AI in an NES game, but come on! How are beginners supposed to know they're supposed to get all the way over to the left of the screen (while dodging fireballs, yes, don't forget we still have mr. Dragon to deal with). Then when you're at the left side of the screen, you have to still dodge fireball while throwing daggers while standing up! Of course this wouldn't be a problem for me, but the fireballs can kill you in a matter of SECONDS! So when we finally kill the dragon, we just have to hop our way to the entrance (there are even holes in the bridge!) That's when I turned off my system and gave up with this FREAKING GAME!!

The Bottom Line

This game should always be played on an online emulator for free instead of being bought! If you want a good platformer, well this just won't be up your street. Don Bleuth's creation has made a terrible leap to the NES and it will always be remembered, for being a piece of crap! Oh and be thankful that I have given you a runthrough of the first screen, you'll need it, just in case you ever want to play this game (despite the warnings of many people including me). So, what does this game get, 1.4/5 stars!