Tecmo, initially a supplier of cleaning equipment and now best known for Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, was founded on this day in 1967!

Super Spike V'Ball (NES)

Written by  :  Brian Niemeyer (4)
Written on  :  Aug 20, 2005
Platform  :  NES

read more reviews by Brian Niemeyer

Summary

Buckets of fun

The Good

This game was fun for as long as you wanted it to be, and as long as you don't mind the old graphics and limited sounds it still is.

The Bad

I have to put something in for things I didn't like, which is unfortunate because there isn't a thing about this game that's not to like.

The Bottom Line

This was one of the last great games for the original NES console, and the first I remember that made it clear that controllers needed an ergonomic design. Excellent graphics-for the time-and appropriate sound effects only made it that much easier to waste a night at college without risking a hangover. While it was easy to sit down for a few minutes and play a quick game or two, it shone when all four player slots were filled. Still the only video game I've ever played which combined loads of fun and game speed to make 'losers outs' worth the wait for as many as ten people. Since I mentioned it, the frequency with which controllers went flying out of people's hands trying to power up both shots and blocks MUST have been a factor in the improved controller design for the SNES. This game is so much fun that this spring after finding a cartridge on Ebay a few friends and I wore out my old console. At a time when there were a lot of games that didn't ask a lot of your time-and had almost no learning curve-this was one of the best.