Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo DS)

Written by  :  Joshua Price (28)
Written on  :  Dec 07, 2005
Rating  :  4.17 Stars4.17 Stars4.17 Stars4.17 Stars4.17 Stars

read more reviews by Joshua Price

Summary

A great transition from the N64 to the DS!

The Good

What isn't there to like about Mario. This game is full of great platforming, huge worlds to explore, quirky enemies, and the inclusion of Wario, Luigi, and Yoshi "The Tank". Everything about this game is pretty much the same as it's N64 counterpart, but there are still many differences. One difference is the fact that there are new characters, so there has to be new goals. You also don't start the game as Mario, rather, you start as the Tank, which totally changes the first levels of the game. The first boss is really quite fun because you can't pick up the Bob-omb King with Yoshi, so you have to eat his bomb minions, turn them into eggs, and throw them back at him, it's was so cool. And of course, seeing as how this is a DS game, there is a butt load of mini games for you to play. The mini games are a great addition to this already great game, you will be sitting down for a long time trying to beat your best score. My personal favorite mini game was the slingshot launcher, but there are so many mini games to choose from, so everybody can have a favorite mini game.

The Bad

The controls at times really sucked, sometimes they blowed, but luckily, never at the same time. You have a choice of using the D pad to control your character, or, the touch screen, both of which aren't really that great. Out of the two control types, I found myself mostly using the D pad, but at least the touch controls work well with the mini games. Another gripe I have with the game, while a minimal complaint, is the fact you don't get that cool jump after you beat the game with all the stars, I mean, I know Yoshi is a playable character, but I want that super cool jump, put Donkey Kong or Waluigi or Daisy or someone on the roof, just give me my cool jump.

The Bottom Line

If you own a DS, this is a game you want to add to your library, seeing as how there aren't to many good games out on the DS. Even if you don't like Mario( although who doesn't?) you really should pick up this game.