DescriptionTOAW is the first in a series of wargames released by Talonsoft. The game focuses on historic conflicts (mainly World War 2 and Korea) that lie between army- and battalion-sized engagements. Each unit is modelled individually down to infantry guns, tanks, etc. The game is scenario driven, meaning that there is no campaign where you fight battle after battle. A scenario can last from a couple of hours to several years (in game time). Two graphics modes are available: Top-down and isometric (pseudo 3D). The latter one shows units as "miniatures-like" icons, representing the main type of equipment in the formation. The other mode uses military symbols for representation. The game is played on a zoomable map (2 levels). The game includes weather effects and political events.
All features of the game (units, map, events, etc.) can be edited through the included scenario editor.
- "TOAW" -- Common abbreviation
- "Norm Koger's Operational Art of War Volume 1: 1939-1955" -- European title
- "Norm Kogers Art of War: Volume 1 1939-1955" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
- Game feature: Hexagonal map
- Historical conflict: Korean War
- Historical conflict: World War II
- The Operational Art of War series
There are no reviews for this game.
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Sep, 1998||90|
|All Game Guide||1999||90|
|Gaming Entertainment Monthly||Nov 15, 1998||89 out of 100||89|
|PC Player (Germany)||Aug, 1998||75 out of 100||75|
|Power Play||Aug, 1998||72 out of 100||72|
|PC Joker||Aug, 1998||64 out of 100||64|
|PC Games (Germany)||Aug 05, 1998||48 out of 100||48|
|Power Unlimited||Oct, 1998||4.8 out of 10||48|
|PC Action||Aug 19, 1998||45 out of 100||45|
There are currently no topics for this game.
- Computer Gaming World
- April 1999 (Issue #177) – Best Wargame of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Norm Koger's Operational Art of War, Volume I Page (Maintained by the developer of the game.)
- Official website (Description, Requirements, Patch.)
- TOAW-ITA (Italian) (Fan site holding FAQ, general infos, scenarios, etc.)
Game Design & Concepts: