Amnesia (PC Booter)

3.5
Written by  :  Frecklefoot (191)
Written on  :  Apr 21, 2004
Platform  :  PC Booter
read more reviews by Frecklefoot

Summary

A decent attempt, but falls far short

The Good

The storyline to this game sounded compelling (as well as the cover artwork). I knew it was a text adventure, so I wasn't expecting any eye candy. Unfortunately, my interest in this game waned about as soon as I started playing it.

The Bad

I had respect for Electronic Arts games, so I was expecting this game to be at least as good as a run-of-the-mill Infocom text adventure. I was sadly disappointed. The text parser is horrible: many commands the Infocom engine wouldn't have any trouble parsing, tripped up this game repeatedly.

The story is rather linear, which is usually fine. But the game constrains you as to what you can do. For example, in the opening scene you are in a hotel room and the phone rings. You cannot leave the room and ignore the phone: you MUST answer the phone.

Because of the poor parser and lack of freedom, I stopped playing this game shortly after starting. I didn't have the determination to fight with the game's shortcomings. Any Infocom game I played was much more compelling than this attempt.

The Bottom Line

A frustrating attempt at a decent genre. Okay if you can spoon-feed its parser and don't mind a game that manhandles you.