missing cover art
DescriptionYou are Arthur Dent, an Englishman with a bad hangover wearing a dressing gown containing a much needed buffered analgesic and some fluff. Your house has just been destroyed, followed shortly thereafter by your planet Earth (mostly harmless). You’ve been rescued by your friend Ford Prefect, who’s not actually an out-of-work actor. He has given you a book (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy), a towel, and is now telling you to put a fish in your ear. It must be a Thursday; you’ve never quite gotten the hang of Thursdays.
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is written by Douglas Adams and Steven Meretzky and based on Adams’ BBC radio series, television series, and the series of subsequent novelizations. It’s one of the classic Interactive Fiction games produced by Infocom, labeled as Science Fiction and has a Standard Level of Difficulty. Though divergent from the source material, the main characters, locations, and concepts are here. Unlike the book, death can come quickly if Arthur fails to observe his surroundings, collect inventory, talk to people, and consult the Guide. DON’T PANIC!
Original C=64 Grey Box Contents: Megadodo Publications Advertising Booklet for your very own Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy complete with Fluff, Destruct orders for your home and planet, a nice red button with the words DON'T PANIC printed in large yellow letters, a pair of Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril-Sensitive Sunglasses, No Tea, and your very own Microscopic Space Fleet. All this can be yours, for the low, low price of only 59.99 Altairian Dollars.
There are no PC Booter user screenshots for this game.
There are 70 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
There are no promo images for this game
- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic!" -- Tag-lined title
- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - a science fiction story" -- Tag-lined title
- "HHGTTG" -- Acronym
- "H2G2" -- Alternate acronym
Part of the Following Group
There are no reviews for the PC Booter release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|graphical remake?||1||Pseudo_Intellectual (47935)
Oct 23, 2008
|Waxy makes an interesting score||8||micnictic (385)
Apr 19, 2008
1001 Video GamesThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Cancelled sequelA sequel, The Restraunt at the End of the Universe, was planned but never was finished due to a bad consultant.
ExtrasThis game came with some of the most humorous software trinkets (Infocom called them "feelies") found in a game box. For example, you get a "Microscopic Space Fleet" (a closed ziplock bag with -- apparently -- nothing in it), Peril-sensitive Sunglasses (the lenses are solid black), etc.
GraphicsA version of the game with graphics added can be played at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml. Unlike the version found at Douglas Adams' website, you can save and load in this one.
SalesAccording to DouglasAdams.com, the game sold around 350,000 copies. The site goes on to note that, with the development of graphics games, the human race rapidly abandoned all that it had learned about language resulting in Infocom's closing.
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) –#42 in the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) –#4 Funniest Computer Game
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #8 Hardest Computer Game
Information also contributed by emerging lurker, LeChimp, PCGamer77, Terrence Bosky and FatherJack
Related Web Sites
- Infocom homepage (At this site you can find information on ALL of Infocom's interactive games, Infocom related articles, sample transcripts, InvisiClue hints, walkthroughs, maps and information on buying Infocom games today.)
- Play The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (A Java applet that allows you to play the game within your web browser.)
- The Commodore Zone (All about Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - introduction, images, related links and comments area.)
- THE HITCHHIKER ADVENTURE GAME by Douglas Adams - 20th Anniversary Edition (Hosted by the BBC, this version of Hitchhiker's also has a graphical interface. Sean Sollé, who worked with Adams on Starship Titanic, and Rod Lord, who did the graphics on the BBC's television version of Hitchhiker's, provided the coding and the artwork. Shimon Young tied it all together using Flash.)
- The Infocom Gallery (High-quality scans of the grey box package and manual of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.