Current MobyGoal: On our way to 3,500 documented Amiga games!

Jumpman (PC Booter)

Also For
Written by  :  Olivier Masse (421)
Written on  :  Jun 23, 1999
Platform  :  PC Booter
Rating  :  4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars

read more reviews by Olivier Masse

Summary

Lots of action for a lypical ladder game of that era

The Good

Lots of action for a typical "ladder" game of that era. The character moved and animated at a fast rate, which resulted in a game less boring than slow-mo Big Top which was also released in about the same time. It was funny to see it flow on your screen with its arms and legs moving in a cartoonish manner.

The game actually featured balls floating around the screen that hit you if you didn't move fast enough. Don't try it on a 386 without slowing it up though, as you'll get killed instantly.

Like most similar games, Jumpman was not complex and you learned how to play it in a matter of minutes.

The Bad

The noise the character made while moving, while being one of the elements which contributed to give you lots of action for your money, got annoying over time. You couldn't just play it with someone else sleeping in the house. To my knowledge, there was no way to turn off the sound, so I actually hooked my speaker on an on/off switch just to play this game late at night.

The Bottom Line

A classic. Most of those who have owned PC's and XT's in the mid 80s remember this game for sure. Even those I knew who came out too late to see lots of self-bootable games had a good chance of having a copy of good old Jumpman in their diskette box.

A must if you have a computosaur floating around and want to see what "fast & simple" meant in 1983!