Jumpman (PC Booter)

Also For
Written by  :  Terrence Bosky (5235)
Written on  :  Feb 07, 2001
Platform  :  PC Booter
Rating  :  4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars

read more reviews by Terrence Bosky

Summary

Jumpman we knew ye not

The Good

This was Jumpman's first and only foray into gaming (his son had one later on). After leaving Hollywood, or being booted out, he was approached by Epyx to star in this game.

Jumpman did most of his own stunts (except for the Dragonslayer level) so the man you see jumping from rope to ladder and reaching for those dots is really him.

While this game was popular, the injuries Jumpman sustained in production crippled his career. He was interviewed about a possible sequel at Pitfall Harry's retirement and had this poignant statement to make: "Jumping for dots is a game for the young. I had my shot and I took it, you always have to hope for the best but those days are gone. Still sometimes when I'm up on a ladder, changing a lightbulb or something, I'll hear that music, that wonderful midi music."

The Bad

Critics hated this game. "What's this, he just jumps?" New York Times. "What does he do with those dots?" Washington Post. But this was a simpler time, before the Hollywood types took over the gaming industry.

The Bottom Line

In a world of ladders and ropes, how can one man survive? Jumpman can.

One man, one way, Jumpman! (alternate tag line)