DescriptionYou play as a treasure hunter named Panama Joe, whose goal is to find an ancient treasure hidden by Aztec warrior deep inside catacombs. But beware, the catacombs are a large maze inhabited by monsters. Bouncing and rolling skulls, dancing spiders, disappearing and re-appearing chains and tons of fire await you. You'll have to find many keys and unlock doors in order to reach your goal. Panama Joe can jump and climb ladders, but doesn't have much to offer in terms of combat. That's why the monsters in the game should be avoided: a collision with an enemy leads to a premature death.
- "Predatore" -- Italian title
- "Montezuma's Revenge: Featuring Panama Joe" -- Tag-lined title
Part of the Following Groups
|Like Mario's Great-Grandfather||Game22 (42)|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Nov, 1987||5.8 out of 12||48|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Prototype versionA 35kb prototype version of the game was created by Robert Jaeger based on the concept given to him by his friend Mark Sunshine. Robert Jaeger began making the game at the age of 15. The game was unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in 1983. The game was bought by Parker Brothers. Parker Brothers decided to release Montezuma's Revenge in 1984, but the game was adapted to the version that required only 16kb of RAM by removing some game elements. Parker Brothers made some cuts to the graphics, removed the intro, simplified maze construction, and changed the name of the main character from Pedro to Panama Joe.
- Commodore Format
- April 1991 (Issue 7) - listed in the A to Z of Classic Games article (Great)
Related Web Sites
- Game Map (A screenshot map of the game)
- Game Map (Sega Master System) (Detailed maps of all levels in the game.)
- Preliminary Monty Game Map (Split into 4 parts)
- Video review of the ColecoVision, some games and modules (WARNING: Language) (The Angry Video Game Nerd, James Rolfe, reviews the CollecoVision, some modules and games, including Montezuma's Revenge on ColecoVision.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.