A Collection of Activision Classic Games for the Atari 2600 (PlayStation)

2.1
Written by  :  Dan Clement (3)
Written on  :  Dec 27, 2006

read more reviews by Dan Clement

Summary

Disappointing

The Good

The game comprised every Atari 2600 game I ever remember playing (and I played a lot). They were exactly as I remembered - same graphics, same sounds, same music. A true piece of nostalgia (if you're old enough to be nostalgic), or a true insight into the games of yesterday if you're not. It's also good for a laugh if you've got a few friends over. It's just as fun to beat them on the Playstation as it was on the 2600.

The Bad

The controls are far too fiddly with the Playstation. What you have to remember is that the Atari 2600 controls were very different, so if you're used to them then be prepared for a rough time as you adapt. If you have a Playstation joystick kicking around, it may make things slightly easier. The other problem is lastability. If you don't have friends that would enjoy playing Atari 2600 games all night, it does get very boring very quickly. I think anybody who was around for the era would agree - Atari games were made for parties.

The Bottom Line

If you enjoy the old games, you could certainly get a lot of fun out of this collection. It really will be a blast from the past. The control system throws a few obstacles in the way, but a true gamer wouldn't let such a trivial thing get in the way. However, if you're a younger gamer and used to flash graphics and well-designed cut scenes, you'll probably be wasting your time.