Alien Trilogy (PlayStation)

3.2
Written by  :  Stefan K (6)
Written on  :  Dec 06, 2009
Platform  :  PlayStation

read more reviews by Stefan K

Summary

Damn good find!

The Good

While visiting a recently discovered treasure trove of classic gaming goodness I found 'Alien Trilogy' in its original long-box sitting unassumingly on a shelf. I picked it up for 10 bucks and brought it home...

I was surprised at the production values at first...because they're quite good! The 3D engine is similar to the one found in PO'ed, in that it is fully three-dimensional. The characters are standard sprites but for some reason I have always found graphics like these to be more compelling than their 3D counterparts of the era.

The weapons are nicely detailed and shells spill forth after dropping some aliens or an infected human or two. The game is quite bloody which I absolutely love! If you're blowing away an infected colonist with a shotty or dousing an alien in flames blood flows profusely...sweet death...Oh, how I embrace you...

The Bad

My one and only gripe is the password system...my god haven't we moved away from elongated super passwords? Didn't we leave that back in the 80's with Metroid? Apparently not. Beware...if you die you're going to be entering a massive password, that is of course if you were intelligent enough to save when you were fully geared up.

The Bottom Line

A worthy FPS for the PSX! If you find it...get it! You will not regret the purchase - at 10 bucks how could you? Plus the long-box is hilariously over-sized it makes the purchase a no-brainer!