DescriptionWhat if Hitler never existed? Einstein pondered the question and created a time-machine to eliminate Hitler as a young man, thus preventing World War II as history remembers it. However, Einstein stopped one evil only to create another - because Stalin's Soviet Union is now poised to conquer Europe... and Allies must stop them!
Command & Conquer: Red Alert can be considered a prequel to Command & Conquer. Like its predecessor, it is a real-time strategy with an isometric semi-top-down perspective using 2D sprite graphics engine. The player takes control of either the Allies or the Soviets, as he battles for destiny of the planet. Gameplay features are similar to those of the previous game, including building a base with some defenses, massing units, harvesting resources, etc. The game has a variety of environments in its missions, adding some indoor missions that use only infantry units.
- "命令与征服：红色警戒" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "RA" -- Slang/Informal title
- "Hung Jing " -- Chinese title
- "Command & Conquer - Teil 2: Alarmstufe Rot" -- German title
- "Command & Conquer: Alerte Rouge" -- French title
- "Command & Conquer: Alarmstufe Rot" -- German PlayStation title
- "C&C:RA" -- Informal name
- "C&C 2" -- Common German abbreviation
- "커맨드 앤 컨커: 적색경보" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Command & Conquer games
- Command & Conquer Red Alert series
- Gameplay Feature: Fog of War
- PlayStation Platinum Range releases
- Total Entertainment Network (TEN) multiplay platform
- Visual technique / style: Live-action cutscenes
|does the idea of conquering europe without moving muscle appeal to anyone because it does to me!||daniel o neill (1)||unrated|
The Press Says
|Consoles Plus||Dec, 1997||93 out of 100||93|
|PSX Extreme||Feb, 1998||90 out of 100||90|
|Absolute Playstation||Dec, 1997||90 out of 100||90|
|Mega Score||Feb, 1998||90 out of 100||90|
|IGN||Oct 28, 1997||8 out of 10||80|
|GameSpot||Mar 02, 1998||7.6 out of 10||76|
|All Game Guide||1998||70|
|neXGam||2002||6 out of 10||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesCommand & Conquer: Red Alert appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Freeware releaseTo celebrate 13 years of Command & Conquer, the game was made available for free on 31st August 2008. The link is available in the related web sites section.
German versionThe German version removes Hitler from the intro and replaces all the soldiers with cyborgs.
SalesIn 1998, Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PC) won the Platinum-Award from the German VUD (Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland - Entertainment Software Association Germany) for selling more then 200,000 (but less then 500,000) units in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- Computer Gaming World
- May 1997 (Issue #154) – Strategy Game of the Year (Readers' Choice)
- PC Gamer
- April 2000 - -10 in the "All-Time Top 50 Games" poll
- April 2005 - #17 in the "50 Best Games of All Time" list
- Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland
- 1998 - Platinum Award (more details in the "Sails" section)
Related Web Sites
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert (Download the game for free, in celebration of 13 years of Command & Conquer.)
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert (The official homepage)
- Command & Conquer Red Alert - Home Page (official game page at Westwood Studios' website from 1997, preserved by the Wayback Machine)
- Fan Site (Another Fan Site for Red Alert)
- Planet C&C (All the C&C games covered extensively on these pages. Articles, reviews, files for download, chat and more.)
- The "Art Of War" site (A great RA site that allows you to download a fair bit of stuff.)
- Wikipedia: Command & Conquer: Red Alert (Information about Command & Conquer: Red Alert at Wikipedia)