What if Hitler never existed? Einstein pondered the question and created a time-machine to eliminate Hitler as a young man, thus preventing World War II as history remembers it. However, Einstein stopped one evil only to create another - because Stalin's Soviet Union is now poised to conquer Europe... and Allies must stop them!Command & Conquer: Red Alert
can be considered a prequel to Command & Conquer
. Like its predecessor, it is a real-time strategy with an isometric semi-top-down perspective using 2D sprite graphics engine. The player takes control of either the Allies or the Soviets, as he battles for destiny of the planet. Gameplay features are similar to those of the previous game, including building a base with some defenses, massing units, harvesting resources, etc. The game has a variety of environments in its missions, adding some indoor missions that use only infantry units.
- "命令与征服：红色警戒" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Hung Jing " -- Chinese title
- "Command & Conquer: Teil 2 - Alarmstufe Rot" -- German title
- "Command & Conquer: Alerte Rouge" -- French title
- "Command & Conquer: Alarmstufe Rot" -- German PlayStation title
- "C&C:RA" -- Informal title
- "C&C 2" -- Common German abbreviation
- "커맨드 앤 컨커: 적색경보" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
1001 Video Games
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die
by General Editor Tony Mott.
To celebrate 13 years of Command & Conquer
, the game was made available for free on 31st August 2008. The link is available in the related web sites section.
The German version removes Hitler from the intro and replaces all the soldiers with cyborgs.
In 1998, Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PC)
won the Platinum-Award from the German VUD (Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland - Entertainment Software Association Germany) for selling more then 200,000 (but less then 500,000) units in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Information also contributed by
- Computer Gaming World
- May 1997 (Issue #154) – Strategy Game of the Year (Readers' Choice)
- PC Gamer
- April 2000 - -10 in the "All-Time Top 50 Games" poll
- April 2005 - #17 in the "50 Best Games of All Time" list
- Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland
- 1998 - Platinum Award (more details in the "Sails" section)
Related Web Sites
(10705) added Command & Conquer: Red Alert
(PlayStation) on Apr 02, 2001