Moby Poll: What kind of game collector are you?

Gran Turismo 2 (PlayStation)

Written by  :  J. David Taylor (28)
Written on  :  Nov 21, 2003

read more reviews by J. David Taylor

Summary

Too realistic.

The Good

Graphics were incredible, no doubt the best in a racing game on the PSX. The control was so realistic it was scary. Lots of cars, and I think any racing game can benefit greatly from having enough cars. Also, enough races, and I can't praise this aspect enough--when you make a racing game, I think you should try to make lots of races! This is one of the most appealing aspects, to me in a game. Any type of game! Lots of levels is a good thing, as long as they are original. Realism of terrain, for another thing was very good. I have seen many games where their "terrains" are just green or brown asphalt, in terms of handling on them. Also, I think it's neat that you have to pass tests to get licenses, which, of course, is a nice touch of realism, since this racing game, unlike some, is supposed to take place in a realistic environment. (that environment being, no pedestrians to run over, no cops to bug you, it's a controlled environment)

The Bad

The difficulty was a major setback. Yes, it should be difficult, and I think the difficulty was realistic, but it was hard. Which is good, but I just didn't have the time or skills to get good at it. Although, I think this is the only thing that is annoying in this game, which is certainly a good thing. With the exception of music, which I think wasn't bad, but I certainly don't remember any of it.

The Bottom Line

The best racing game on the PSX, and it may well be the hardest. (really as for difficulty, I wouldn't know, but this game is so hard...) Definitely worth buying if you are really dedicated and have the time/skills to master it.