Gran Turismo 2 (PlayStation)

Written by  :  The Holy Moly (21)
Written on  :  Jul 28, 2004

read more reviews by The Holy Moly

Summary

A great sequel

The Good

The addition of a TON more cars when you thought there could be no more! Even more realistic driving. More licenses. Even though the idea was no longer new, the challenge was still nice. The addition of endurance races (2+ hours of racing one track!) The very lightweight 500hp concept car :) The Escudo. Improved graphics. Damage was implemented, even though it was very slight. Off road rally racing. New music. Huge game. I put A LOT of time into this game and was only 60% complete. I think I had around 100 cars (probably 200 including ones I sold).

The Bad

Still no love for large displacement vehicles. More licenses that you were required to get. In GT1 it was neat. In GT2 it was starting to become a chore. Endurance races. Racing one endurance race is kind of fun because you wonder what it's like. After racing one you really don't want to race the others. No realistic damage system. No ability to play 2 player co-op (remember Road Rash?). Only 6 cars on the track at a time. Music grows repetitive after a while. The sound of squealing tires every time you take a turn gets old.

The Bottom Line

A huge improvement over GT1. The next step in race gaming. Another must have. A+ for it's time. B+ against current competitors (GT3).