Solomon's Key for the NES was released in Japan on this day in 1986.

Koudelka (PlayStation)

Written by  :  weregamer (157)
Written on  :  Jan 19, 2004
Rating  :  3.17 Stars3.17 Stars3.17 Stars3.17 Stars3.17 Stars
read more reviews by weregamer

Summary

Amazingly pretty for the original Playstation, but boring and repetitive as a game

The Good

In atmosphere and production quality, this is an amazing game. Although it came out well after the PS2 was available, this PSX game really competes in graphic quality with a PS2 game; I would guess that the art staff were just real masters of digital imagery. The sounds and music worked well, it was a sensory feast.

The Bad

Sadly, as a game it was just not worth the time. The combat interface was so clumsy that I never felt like I knew what was going on, and the combats themselves were boring and repetitive - almost a parody of all the complaints real-time combat fans (one of which I'm emphatically not) have about turn-based RPG combats. Only a couple of hours into the game, I reached the point where the terrible combat system made me shelf the game.

The Bottom Line

A landmark for production values, and perhaps the last game we will ever see where talented developers squeeze amazingly good production values out of a limited machine instead of just waiting for a newer platform to make it easy. Sadly, the game itself is near unplayable because of a tedious combat system and boring, repetitive opponents.