DescriptionJust like its predecessors Need for Speed: High Stakes is an action racing game with a wide selection of exotic sports cars and many different types of tracks. The trademark Hot Pursuit mode game mode from the first game in the series is still present, where players race opponents on tracks filled with regular traffic and police cars that chase the racers. The classic pursuit mode is extended with two additional modes: Getaway and Time Trap. In Getaway the player needs to shake off the police in a set amount of time, or playing as the police trap a speeder before time runs out. In Time Trap an entire race needs to be completed before time runs out, or as the police all speeders need to be arrested. There are minor differences between the two platforms for this game mode, regarding spike strips, road blocks, and back-up. The latter for instance is unique to the PlayStation version. The Pursuit mode is available in multiplayer as well and players can take different sides or race together.
It is the first game in the series to introduce a Career mode with a set of challenges. Beating these is rewarded with trophies for unlocks, and money to spend on new cars, repairs and upgrades. In the PlayStation version the Career mode is split up into two different sets of challenges: Tournament (required races) and Special Event (optional races). High Stakes in the title refers to races where players bet their cars. In the PC version these are a part of the Career mode when the player owns more than two cars. In the PlayStation version two players can insert their memory cards and race against each other. The winner immediately receives the opponent's car and it is deleted from the loser's memory card right away.
In addition to the new game modes it is also the first game in the series to have a detailed physics models. Damage now affects both the appearance and the performance of the car for the first time.
There are no promo images for this game
- "Over Drivin' IV" -- Japanese title
- "NFS 4" -- Common abbreviation
- "Need for Speed: הדרך לניצחון" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Need for Speed: Road Challenge" -- European / Latin American title
- "Need for Speed: Conduite en état de liberté" -- French title
- "Need for Speed: Brennender Asphalt" -- German title
- "Need for Speed 4" -- Informal title
Part of the Following Groups
- Automobile: BMW 5 Series
- Automobile: Chevrolet Camaro
- Automobile: Chevrolet Corvette
- Automobile: Ferrari 550
- Automobile: Ferrari F50
- Automobile: Lamborghini Countach
- Automobile: Lamborghini Diablo
- Automobile: McLaren F1
- Automobile: Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR
- Automobile: Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class
- Automobile: Pontiac Firebird
- Automobile: Porsche 911
- Need for Speed series
- PlayStation Greatest Hits releases
- PlayStation Platinum Range releases
- Theme: Street racing
There are no reviews for the PlayStation release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Bravo Screenfun||Apr, 1999||1 out of 6||100|
|Game Revolution||Apr, 1999||A-||91|
|Gamezilla||May 03, 1999||91 out of 100||91|
|Absolute Playstation||Apr, 1999||91 out of 100||91|
|Freak||May, 1999||90 out of 100||90|
|IGN||Mar 24, 1999||8.8 out of 10||88|
|Mega Fun||May, 1999||87 out of 100||87|
|Svenska PlayStation Magasinet||Jun, 1999||8 out of 10||80|
|Spel för Alla||May, 1999||8 out of 10||80|
|Super Play (Sweden)||May, 1999||75 out of 100||75|
There are currently no topics for this game.
PoliceDepending on which country you are racing in, Police car have different paintings - and even different sirens.
Taco DenIf you go behind the Taco Den on the Redrock Ridge track, you'll hear people burping inside.
- Computer Gaming World
- March 2000 (Issue #188) – Racing Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Need for Speed: High Stakes (official website)
- IGCD Internet Game Cars Database (Game page on IGCD, a database that tries to archive vehicles found in video games.)
- Wikipedia: Need for Speed: High Stakes (Information about Need for Speed: High Stakes at Wikipedia)