DescriptionPopulous: The Beginning is the third part of the Populous series originally created by Peter Molyneux. This is the first part with 3D graphics. Gameplay also received a major overhaul; the player no longer simply has to lower and raise land to gain bigger houses which can defend themselves stronger. Now the player has to chop trees to build your huts. Depending on how many men are in the house, the faster its population and the house itself grows. It's possible to train men as fighters, priests, etc. New spells can be added to the shaman's spell inventory through the act of prayer at shrines scattered all over the world. Most spells take the form of natural disasters such as tornadoes and volcanic eruptions.
Each level is represented by a tiny planet that the player can scroll around freely. Aside from the single player campaign it's also possible to challenge other players online.
There are no PlayStation user screenshots for this game.
There are 19 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
There are no promo images for this game
- "上帝也疯狂" -- Chinese spelling (Simplified)
- "Populous: The Third Coming" -- Working title
- "Populous: El Principio" -- Spanish title
- "Populous - A l'Aube de la Création " -- French title
- "Populous 3" -- Informal title
- "ポピュラス ザ・ビギニング" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|Better Then The Windows Version!||bart simpson (2)|
|Mega Fun||Mar, 1999||88 out of 100||88|
|Super Play (Sweden)||May, 1999||83 out of 100||83|
|Absolute Playstation||Apr, 1999||81 out of 100||81|
|Video Games||Mar, 1999||75 out of 100||75|
|IGN||Jul 12, 1999||7 out of 10||70|
|NowGamer||Mar 31, 1999||7 out of 10||70|
|NUKE Computer Gaming||1999||6 out of 10||60|
|GameSpot||Apr 08, 1999||4.1 out of 10||41|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CelebrationAt the end of each level, if you win you're followers will celebrate and start cheering and dancing madly. At first they will run around crazily and start praising the heavens. However, if you have a large group of followers standing next to each other, there is a good chance that they will form a congo line and start congo-ing in unison, and more followers will continue to join at the end of the line. Also, if you have fire warriors, they will shoot fire into the sky for a display of fireworks.
MusicThe music for Populous: The Beginning is encoded as MP3; several music files can be loaded into Winamp (or your player of choice) and played!
- Computer Gaming World
- April 1999 (Issue #177) – Runner-up as Best Strategy Game of the Year
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/1999 - Best Remake in 1998
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1999 – Best Real-Time Strategy Game in 1998
Related Web Sites
- Populous: The Beginning (Unofficial homepage for Populous: The Beginning.)
- Populous: The Beginning (EA Europe Populous: The Beginning site)
- Wikipedia: Populous: The Beginning (Information about Populous: The Beginning at Wikipedia)
Game designed by:
President of Climax Group: