Forums > Game Forums > Powerslave > PC vs. PlayStation/Saturn

Dae (7182) on 1/31/2010 4:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been wondering why these two are listed as the same game entry, I'd say that they are different enough to warrant game entries for both versions.

First of all, the PS and Saturn versions use a completely new engine and share absolutely NO same levels with the PC version. The weapon selection is different aside from the machete, pistol, M60 and the flamethrower, that mostly work the same way. Their animations are much more complex and with the M60 you actually can see the second hand of the player feeding the belt in to the gun unlike in the PSX version.

I think that the grenade has the same hand sprite, but there is no hand pulling out the "split pin", which the PSX version doesn't even have since the grenade is a golden proximity mine ("Amun mine") instead of a regular, timed fragmentation grenade.

The Cobra Staff shares only the firing animation artwork, and the functionality is kinda the same (both shoot a heat-seeking snake projectile), but it's hardly the same. PC version has again more animations, such as the idling animation.

PC version has no Ring of Ra.

The Manacle of Power share only the hand part, not the bracelet part, and their functionality is completely different: PC version spawns a cloud on top of the enemy (only if there's an enemy nearby) while the PS/Saturn version shoots heat-seeking lightning out of the player's hand, even if there are no enemies around. The PS/Saturn version is also chargeable for a bigger burst of lightning.

The PS/Saturn versions have no Mummy Staff.

PC version has different ammo pickup items for all the weapons separately, while the PS/Saturn versions have a blue glowing orb pickup that fills the ammo of whatever weapon you're currently holding.

PC version has also special pickups like the eye, which makes you temporarily invisible, the torch which allows you to see in dark areas like caves, plus four others I can't remember what they do.

The basic gameplay of the PC version is linear, after you beat a level, you get a Doom style overworld map which shows you the next level which you automatically enter. The PS/Saturn versions have a Zelda-like gameplay where you can freely choose the area you enter, where you may find permanent power ups that allow you to go back to an older level and unlock a previously unexplored area with your new powerup. The world map artwork is completely different as well.

The small critter enemy is different, PC has a red crab while the other versions have a blue scorpion.

The enemies like the basic grunt are the same and share the same functionality. A lot of the other enemies share the same artwork and sounds, but the functionality is completely different.

Other functionality that is different is the PC version's underwater bubble stacks that allow you to regain oxygen while underwater and pushable blocks that make up some simple puzzles.

I could get more into detail but I only just finished the PS version and it's been a few months when I last properly played and finished the PC version.

But I can assure you the games are completely different aside from the fact that they share the same developer, name, some artwork and sounds.

Alaka (105836) on 1/31/2010 5:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daedolon wrote--] But I can assure you the games are completely different aside from the fact that they share the same developer, name, some artwork and sounds. [/Q --end Daedolon wrote--]

http://www.mobygames.com/game/a-nightmare-on-elm-street/forums/dga,2/dgm,123803/

Similar situation and the only solution at the moment, which is basically you or someone else having to submit a new entry for the PC version.

Which reminds me, I might have to do something similar for the Gameboy version of Double Dragon II.