Less than 60 games needed to complete our goal of 1,500 documented Arcade titles!

Resident Evil (PlayStation)

Written by  :  OlSkool_Gamer (99)
Written on  :  Mar 29, 2004
Platform  :  PlayStation
Rating  :  3.43 Stars3.43 Stars3.43 Stars3.43 Stars3.43 Stars

read more reviews by OlSkool_Gamer

Summary

I'll take a 2nd of brains please...

The Good

I never really played a game like Resident Evil before it. I never remember actually getting freaked out by a video game. PS1 was new to me, I was late getting one and this was the first game I rented. and rented. and rented. I loved it, it was freaky and I couldn't believe a video game made me jump out of my seat... crazy, I'll never forget it... Capcom did a wonderful job bringing the mansion to life (aside from the voice-acting). It reminded me of the Alone in the Dark series for the PC which was released prior to Resident Evil but Resident Evil seem much more dark and real. (aside from the voice-acting ;)

The Bad

SO... the voice acting. I find it hard to believe that someone actually ok'd the dialogue. Someone down at Capcom actually said, "Yep! Sounds great! Go ahead and release the game." I just have a hard time believing that. I've heard text-to-speech programs that sound more life like than the dialogue in the game. The game is so dark and creepy but as soon as a cut-scene begins, it instantly becomes a comedy. "Wesker?! (insert a 15 second pause and a blank stare) Jill?! (insert pause) Wheres Barry? (insert 10 second pause)" the acting was terrible and it caused a break from the game's seriousness. The loading times were annoying from room to room but what do you expect from a PS1 drive? Inventory is annoying... not matter how big or how small the item is, it takes up the same amount of space in inventory. You can't carry very much stuff. Apparently Capcom thought that holding 6 keys should take up as much room as holding 6 large weapons. A lot of the game is just busy work, trying to deal with the limited inventory space and just a lot of running around unlocking doors and solving stupid puzzles. Needed more ammo I thought, pot-shooting is always a fun thing to do. The saving system is ridiculous.

The Bottom Line

Play it, great game, can get annoying but its definitely fun :)