The adventure game classic Grim Fandango has been remastered! It's now available on GOG, DRM-free.

Riven: The Sequel to Myst (PlayStation)

3.5
Written by  :  Dani Mittler-Coe (3)
Written on  :  Jun 23, 2003
Platform  :  PlayStation
read more reviews by Dani Mittler-Coe

Summary

RIVEN / I'm sure, this is the place were I came from! RIVEN IS HOME!

The Good

With a walk-through in hand, Riven took only about 6 hours. Without it, I'd still be at it, doing a lot of wandering, mapping, and recording of my observations. And just like Myst, that's what Riven is all about: exploring a new world full of unique beings, organic machines, and family intrigue. There is no inventory, no need to combine mysterious potions, and no board game puzzles with little connection to Riven's world. Rather, it's a leisurely paced, all-encompassing, mentally challenging experience. If you enjoyed Myst, you'll thoroughly enjoy Riven.

The Bad

nothing!

The Bottom Line

Prepare to enter a world "torn asunder" by timeless, unresolved conflicts--a world of incomparable beauty, intrigue, and betrayal. Prepare to go to Riven. Journey through vast, awe-inspiring landscapes, where clouds sit nestled in a deep blue sky and the rolling sea waters shimmer from bright morning sunlight. But be forewarned: nothing is quite as it seems. Reclusive beings and mysterious creatures populate the land. Deep, dark secrets lay hidden at every turn. Your utmost powers of observation and reason are required to complete a most elusive task. You must let Riven become your world. Only then may the truth be discovered and a world saved. Riven stands as a story for all time, a story that evokes a sense of awe, wonder, and profound purpose. Prepare to go to Riven--a world unlike any you've ever known.