CartoonPole Position was popular enough to have a Saturday morning TV cartoon based on it in the early 1980's.
References to the game
- The game is referenced in the movie The Goonies. When the kids discover One-Eyed Willies' treasure map, Chunk (Jeff Cohen) notices the date, 1632, and asks if it was a year. At that point, Mouth (Corey Feldman) tells him, "No, it's your top score in Pole Position".
- Pole Position is briefly featured in the 1984 Swedish comedy film Jönssonligan får guldfeber (The Jönsson Gang Gets Gold Fever) along with another classic, Video Olympics. At the beginning of the movie, the game is played on a pocket TV. Later it is mistaken for Sweden's "general plan" chip and can be seen running on what appears to be a Casio FP-1000/1100 personal computer.
- Happy Computer
- Issue 04/1985 - #10 Best Game in 1984 (Readers' Vote) (Commodore 64 and Atari versions)
- Issue 04/1984 - Video Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 04/1984 - #2 Computer Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 04/1984 - Arcade Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)