Burnout: Revenge (PlayStation 2)

Written by  :  Kadeem Gomez (38)
Written on  :  Jun 04, 2012
Platform  :  PlayStation 2
read more reviews by Kadeem Gomez

Summary

Revenge is sweet

The Good

I played Burnout Revenge since its release back in '05. I think Burnout Revenge is definitely the best destructive car smashing games since Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit or Underground. Before Split Second deserves a classic retrospect to the Burnout franchise, my favorite racing feature in the game was the eliminator (where you must get past all 5 cars in 30 seconds or more before time runs out) and the Crashbreaker (a level where every car or truck you've destroyed gets you big points and awarding a gold medal). Whenever you race on a next course, there are some rival cars that can take you out, but also use your drifting skills to burn rubber, get close to the driver, and WHAM! Your rival is history. I also loved the soundtrack because it has a lot of hits blended into a mixture of pop, alternative rock, indie, dance, and electronica. I thought the game wasn't gonna be a bigger success than Takedown, but I was wrong. My biggest dream is: I wonder if EA could re-release the game along with Takedown and Paradise to make it into solid HD gold.

The Bad

The multiplayer battle features (online or offline) was pretty much the same, but a little confusing. But the loading times was pretty annoying. I was trying to prepare for the next race, but remember when Tony Hawk's American Wasteland was the only game that has no loading interruptions, it was cool. However, in Burnout Revenge, all I see was a information screen like watch out for incoming traffic and how to find unlocked cars on a grand prix event.

The Bottom Line

I've started playing Burnout Revenge for 3 hours and I kinda enjoyed every moment in the series whether its tapping a one-touch button to another or having a wonderful time demolishing auto parts. If you haven't played Burnout or any of its series, you've just missed out on all the action, the stunts, and the features that you must check it out. Maybe Burnout could make another game besides Paradise and make a sixth entry. But Burnout Revenge is pure 100% mayhem.