DDRMAX Dance Dance Revolution (PlayStation 2)

Written by  :  Scott Traynor (6)
Written on  :  Jul 05, 2003
Platform  :  PlayStation 2
read more reviews by Scott Traynor

Summary

Great dance game

The Good

The great thing about this game is you do not have to be great at dancing. Take it from me, the guy you see sitting in the corner alone at night clubs doing nothing. As long as you are beat oriented, then picking up the game is easy. The PS2 version is an improvement over the PS versions due to increased detail into backgrounds and better, more challenging steps. The other improvement is an added edit ability for all of the songs. Now you can't just start the game up dance all the songs immediately, first you must play a certain amount of songs to get more. This is good because it gives you an incentive to come back to the game just to see if you got a good new song. 99% of the time, the unlocked song is excellent. The last thing that is awesome about DDRMAX is that it has an added ONI mode. This mode can be best described as continuous play but with only 4 lives. 4 lives meaning you can miss 4 steps before you fail the set of songs.

The Bad

There are very few, if any flaws to this game, in my opinion. I wish there was more songs added to this game. Some of the great classics like End of the Century have been removed and this leaves more to be desired. In ONI mode, the counter is a little to meticulous, sometimes counting ones that have obviously been hit correctly as wrong. But this is rare.

The Bottom Line

I would have to describe this game as a great one that breaks the old videogame playing mould that says you have to sit on your duff and play. I highly recommend this game to anyone who loves music and if they want to learn some rhythm.