Devil May Cry (PlayStation 2)

Mature
Written by  :  DarkDove (64)
Written on  :  Jul 22, 2003

read more reviews by DarkDove

Summary

Almost perfect.

The Good

Almost eveything about this game was perfect. How can you go wrong with a double-gun wielding, sword swinging, half-man, half-demon hero? The FMV's are brilliant, the bosses are challenging, and the gameplay is simply magnificent. There is a perfect variation in the enemies you encounter, from malicious puppets to demonic-lizards, and many more. Bosses include a spider the size of a gas-station store, and a bird the size of a blimp, all with unique powers that they all use very effectively. And if it seems a bit unfair, don't worry. As you fight, your "devil trigger" gauge will fill up, allowing you to turn into a demon with devastating powers. An all around great action game.

The Bad

The only problems in the game are the camera and the story. Capcom used a cinematic camera in the game, giving you no control over it, and sometimes causing you to stray of course when it switches angles. The story is another problem, and while it has its plot twists and surprises here and there, it doesn't live up to the caliber of the gameplay. But these problems are incredibly minor compared to the game as a whole.

The Bottom Line

The only way I could describe this game to another who hasn't played it is to say that it is unbelievable. I don't think there are many people out there who wouldn't like this game. I loved it, and I personally think it is one of the best games for the PS2 yet.