Devil May Cry (PlayStation 2)

Mature
Written by  :  Silverblade (1425)
Written on  :  Jun 11, 2004

read more reviews by Silverblade

Summary

"What? Are you actually playing now?"

The Good

The graphics of this game were truly eye popping then, its gothic style was hauntingly beautiful, gameplay was simple, but very satisfying and the atmosphere was unique. I loved the way the camera moved. It gave me the distinct impression of an anime with all its visual power and flair. And this game was all about power and flair.

The Bad

Well, not much. Maybe the voiceovers could be better. Capcom has a long tradition of less than perfect voiceovers, but this game is excellent by their usual standards. Some of the platform stunts might prove a little frustrating, especially the optional ones.

The Bottom Line

This is the game that made me buy a Playstation2. It was the first time I actually gaped at a game's visuals and I've been a gamer for as long as I can remember (that's a quarter of a century now). When I saw a friend of mine playing the game for the first time I found myself asking: "Are you actually playing now?". And that's a question I heard many times while I was playing. Combat looks more like a surreal dance than a game, and though it sounds improbable, the double gun/ sword combination was a sight to behold.