Final Fantasy X-2 (PlayStation 2)

3.0
Written by  :  Jacob Gens (1107)
Written on  :  Mar 15, 2008
Rating  :  3.14 Stars3.14 Stars3.14 Stars3.14 Stars3.14 Stars

read more reviews by Jacob Gens

Summary

Its OK...but nothing special

The Good

I like Square Enix's attempt to create a real sequel to a Final Fantasy game and in a way they succeeded. Compared to FFX, the story is very light-hearted which usually what RPGs aren't. They reunite us with old characters like Wakka, Lulu and Kimahri and introduce us to new ones like Gippal, Nooj and Baralai. As far as graphics go Square Enix is numero uno with pushing the PS2 with its CGI. The new dressphere battle system is similar to the job system in Final Fantasy III but each job has its own specific skills which is kinda cool.

The Bad

Where Final Fantasy X-2 excels in some areas, there are setbacks in many other areas. Square Enix got really lazy and just used the entire Spira world again instead of creating new worlds to explore therefore losing the mystique created by its predecessor. The music is my second complaint. I love collecting game soundtracks and while I wanted to enjoy the music, a lot of it was just plain annoying, especially LeBlanc's theme song and the Celsuis theme. Next, is the story process itself. Its mission based gameplay is a different way of going through it. But around Chapter 3 it starts feeling like a chore than an adventure. Its also ridiculous to get 100 percent to get the best ending. With a mods to the game, most notably a deeper storyline, increased difficulty, eliminating "missions", more playable characters and not even including LeBlanc this would have been another classic. Instead its another so-so RPG.

The Bottom Line

For those who have to finish the two-parter, its a buy. Even people who bought Final Fantasy X shouldn't purchase just to preserve the memories of the classic 2001 RPG. General RPG fans shouldn't even touch this one.