The Hobbit (PlayStation 2)

4.2
Written by  :  Depth Lord (943)
Written on  :  Dec 10, 2005
Platform  :  PlayStation 2
Rating  :  3.86 Stars3.86 Stars3.86 Stars3.86 Stars3.86 Stars

read more reviews by Depth Lord

Summary

The story that began it all.

The Good

It was nice to see the characters and places from the book in a videogame, the places are all beautifully made, Hobbiton with all it's lively colors, Smaug's lair with all its majesty, etc. The team artists did an splendid job on what ambientation concerns.

The gameplay it's ok, I liked a lot how well some puzzles were implemented with the action (very easy puzzles if you are used to adventure games, being this my case, but they are ok).

The game has some very interesting bits, I enjoyed a lot traveling around lake-town, the dwarves mountain episode and Smaug's lair.

The music it's also cool, with some medieval and irish influences.

The Bad

Some of the scenes from the book have been reduced just to some cut-scenes with a few pictures sliding and explaining everything, it wouldn't have hurt to have some more videos.

I would also loved to have some more RPG-ish stuff, like levels, abilities and some other things.

Also they took a very few liberties while narrating the story that hardcore fans will notice.

The Bottom Line

If you liked the book, get this game quickly, but if you disliked it I don't think you are going to enjoy this game.