Katamari Damacy (PlayStation 2)

Everyone
Written by  :  Frecklefoot (191)
Written on  :  May 31, 2007

read more reviews by Frecklefoot

Summary

Dreadful idiocy

The Good

Almost nothing.

The Bad

I heard a lot of positive things about this game, so I was looking forward to trying it. Unfortunately, it was one of the most inane games I've ever played. It's typical for a Japanese game in that it is heavy on text and short on action. And I normally ENJOY reading, but not when I'm trying to play what is supposedly an action game.

I don't care to read numerous screens of text for a platform (PlayStation 2) that is mostly built for action. What's worse, though, is that the text is completely inane and poorly translated. Maybe I just don't "get" Japanese humor, but I found the text almost unbearable to read--and there was so much of it! Instead of just telling the player how to play the game, it goes on and on on tangents which, I assume, are supposed to be funny, but I just found stupid.

I also couldn't get into the plot or identify with--or even feel sympathy for--the hero. It looks like a horse pill with legs. How is that supposed to make me feel heroic or even useful?

Perhaps if you're in tune with Japanese culture, you may enjoy this game. Otherwise, don't bother. I found nothing engaging about this game.

The Bottom Line

A complete waste of time and money