The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (PlayStation 2)

3.5
Written by  :  Depth Lord (945)
Written on  :  Dec 16, 2005
Platform  :  PlayStation 2
Rating  :  4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars4.57 Stars

read more reviews by Depth Lord

Summary

Perfect, perhaps the best Lord of the Rings game and a good beat'em up.

The Good

The gameplay has been improved a lot from The Two Towers, there are more characters and they have lots of different skills each other. The levels are cool, they have lots of interaction and feel more alive, you can use objects to kill enemies with timing, open doors with switches and some more things.

The RPG elements are very good too, not very complex but good, the abilities you get are more useful than in The Two Towers game, there are more strength and vitality upgrades and some good new killing moves.

Also, the three different routes that merge into the final levels are a nice addition, you can play with Gandalf, Aragorn and his two companions (Legolas and Gimli) and the hobbits Frodo and Sam, you can progress each route in the order you want, and when you have reached the end of the three you will be able to play the final levels, where the fellowship gets together again.

The music it's cool, the same from the film, and it's very well implemented in the different moments of the game.

Also there are some nice unlockable extras and secret characters, which is good.

The Bad

I would have liked a more extended ending, the one in the game left me a bit empty, I suppose that's because the game was released before the film and they didn't want to spoil it very much.

The Bottom Line

I was surprised when I saw how good this game was, I normally dislike everything with the EA level on it. A great mixture of beat'em up and RPG, an excellent end to the epic trilogy.