Written by  :  powerstone05 (332)
Written on  :  Jul 27, 2013
Platform  :  PlayStation 2

read more reviews by powerstone05

Summary

Recommended if you can get it.

The Good

This RPG has a few things about it that stand out. First I have to give props for the unique random encounter system that is implemented. In it, ghosts randomly appear on the battlefield and if they come into contact with Ari, a battle ensues. Second, the game world is expansive but also compact. What I mean is it's easy to remember where locations are if all the areas in the game were joined together into a giant map. This game's soundtrack is also beautifully memorable that reminds me of Dark Cloud. For a CD-ROM format game (most are DVD), a good amount of content is packed into it. And last but not least, the titular Stan and his dialogue drive the humor through most of the plot.

The Bad

While it's not as hard as other RPGs, enemies are surprisingly difficult at first. Any of your characters can be KO'ed within a couple hits if it's a new area or dungeon. Another huge problem I had was that the item system in the battles is flawed. An example of this is if a character uses an item to heal themself, but they are KO'ed before they can use it; the game still deducts the item from your inventory. Call it a bug, or call it a feature, I don't like that. Without revealing spoilers, I also thought the storyline wasn't the best and that the climax was...well not very climax-y.

The Bottom Line

Another poster mentioned it, but it's a semi-toony RPG with humor sprinkled throughout. Not as serious as your Final Fantasy installments, plus it's something different.