Current MobyGoal: On our way to 3,500 documented Amiga games!

Shadow the Hedgehog (PlayStation 2)

3.2
Written by  :  Arejarn (836)
Written on  :  Nov 06, 2008
Platform  :  PlayStation 2

read more reviews by Arejarn

Summary

Should this "game" even be known as fun at all?

The Good

Well, one of the first few noticeable touches to this game is the fact that Shadow is the main character of the game. The only time that i know when Sonic wasn't the main character in one of his games was in Sonic Battle.

Apart from that, there isn't that much to give this game credit for except the decent soundtrack to balance for the stress the game gives you.

The Bad

One of the main points where this game falls apart is the fact that SEGA thought it was wise to "mature" things up a little. This game has got no replay value, terrible controls and the repetitive use of the word, "Damn". This is supposed to be a SONIC game; "damn" has no right to be in a game series that has always been released for ALL AGES!

Another flaw with the game is the graphics. The cinematics look absolutely stunning, but as soon as you reach the actual game; it looks absolutely terrible. It's just like being raised into heaven for two minutes and then being thrown into hell for the next couple of hours! I know that in my previous reviews; graphics aren't a big concern for me but I know for a fact that SEGA could've done a lot better than this!

Another big addition to the game is the feature of guns... WHY are guns in a Sonic game. It makes no sense to me! And most of these guns are flawed: firstly, it takes a lot of time to aim most of the guns correctly in order to defeat an enemy, while some guns can easily lock onto targets such as the rocket-launcher. Secondly, some of the guns look too ridiculously big and heavy for Shadow to carry┬┤. Also, Shadow can ride vehicles such as cars and motorcycles in the game. They control TERRIBLY and they only act as an attempt to try to boost this game's "quality".

The last rough edge of this game is the voice acting. Nearly every single character in this game has a bad voice actor. It was when I realised that SEGA even decided to bring back the 4Kids voice actors when Sonic X was on TV (lucky us *cough*).

Well, that is basically all of the bad stuff I could find from this game. If SEGA had chosen to keep this under development for a few more couple of months, the "game" may have even been good. Sadly, it wasn't

The Bottom Line

This was a sad disappointment to me. Everyone around the block told me that it was going to be amazing. When i saw the first opening cinematic of the game, i thought i was in for a treat. But through it all, this game proved to be nothing more than a failure.