SSX (PlayStation 2)

3.4
Written by  :  Random Fiste (9)
Written on  :  Dec 05, 2001
Rating  :  3.43 Stars3.43 Stars3.43 Stars3.43 Stars3.43 Stars

read more reviews by Random Fiste

Summary

Cool graphics and expansive levels but not very much staying power.

The Good

When I popped this game into my PS2, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality graphics. The courses are expansive and twisty. At times I wondered when the course would end! (In a good way). There are plenty of alternate routes to explore in order to get the edge you need to win. Controls took about 20 minutes to get used to, it was a little awkward using the two analog sticks but ends up being the best choice. There is a good variety of tricks and it is fun to land all of the trick that are listed in your trick book. It add that extra challenge. You can smack players around on the course although this is pretty limited in effectiveness.

The Bad

Despite the excellent graphics and sound, this game does lack depth. I found that the staying power of this title limited due to the repetitive nature of running the same rave over and over to complete a section. It simply just got "old" too soon. While I did enjoy this title, I wish it held my interest a little more. The races became repetitive and sometime painfully long when you have to race for 5+ minutes and do it at least three times.

The Bottom Line

Quick fun. If you are looking for a game to kill 20 to 45 minutes at a time, this is your pick. But, don't count on this title getting worn out in your PS2.